NP Žumberak Homepage


SOŠICE

Sošice lies in the most spacious karstic field of Žumberačka gora. The oldest version of its name – Sussiz is mentioned for the first time in 1249 in the document written by Bernard – the owner of nearby fortress of Sichelberg (Old Town of Žumberak). Sošice, together with five other places in Žumbera, are property given to newly built Cistercian convent in Kostanjevica. When mentioned for the next time in the 16th century, the area of Žumberak plundered by Ottoman conquests was already part of the Croatian Military Border.


Thanks to its location, Sošice has always been not only one of the largest Žumberak settlements, but the most prosperous center and nowadays it is one of the greatest tourist attractions in Žumberak.
Ecclesiastic center of Sošice is in the southern small village of Kovači. There is the parish house and convent of the Basilian nuns and opposite, and on the little high grounds above the road are two ecclesiastic buildings next to each other – Sts Peter and Paul's Greek Catholic from the 18th century and Virgin Mary's Assumption Roman Catholic Chapel from the beginning of the 19th century. These two one-nave buildings with belfries in front of their fronts are one of the most picturesque cultural features of Žumberak since the time they were built. Next to them is one of two oldest schools in Žumberak opened in 1769. The other one was opened in Mrzlo Polje at the same time.
On the path leading to northern part of the village there is a little chapel on the edge of a field and St Anthony the Hermit's Chapel from the end of the 19th century is few hundred meters away.

The monitoring point of the Public institution is in Sošice as well.

  • Dvije crkve
  • Stari grad
  • Panorama
  • Poklonac u Sopotama
  • Slap Sopot
  • Panorama

NEXT STOP...

⟩Cernik – almost completely preserved traditional Žumberak village with St Jelena Križarica Chapel from the 20th century.
⟩Jazovka – pit where mass common grave from the Second World Ward was found. Mass in honor to these victims is held on 15th May every year.
⟩Sopote – well maintained village famous for numerous credits and rewards. There is Virgin Mary's Assumption Chapel from the second part of the 19th century.
⟩Sopotski slap – waterfall in which the water from upstream of the Kupčina pour over 40-meter-high cascades and continues as a clear creek through meadow below it.
⟩Old Town of Žumberak – ruins of medieval fortified town and St Cross' Parish Church (one of the points on "Žumberak archaeological trail")
Sv. Gera
Radatovići



WHO CHOSE THE LOCATION FOR ONLY CONVENT IN ŽUMBERAK?

"It would be appropriate that a convent is in Sošice."
This sentence is said by 5-year-old boy from nearby Dragoševci thrilled by the vividness of the place on a fair day to his mother when it was decided where to build a women convent in 1930s. Sošice had already got in the period of the Croatian Military Border a status of a fair-town in which regular weekly fairs were held. Nevertheless, was it because of boy's or someone else's opinion, the convent of the Basilian nuns was built in Sošice and sanctified in 1939.
Interesting ethnographic collection was opened on its ground floor in 1976.

Ethnographic collection
Convent of the Basilian nuns
Sošice 11, HR-10457 Sošice
Phone: 01/ 6297 559


HOMELAND OF CROATIAN HERODOTUS

Tadija Smičiklas (1843-1914), author of the first modern scientific, critical and complete Croatian history ("The History of Croats") was born in Rešetovo near Sošice. Memorial plaque as the sign of gratefulness and memory on "Croatian Herodotus" (as writer August Šenoa called him in one of his poems) was put up in his native house in 1928. In the southern small village of Kovači opposite of the parish house and the convent of the Basilian nuns next to each other are two ecclesiastic buildings - Sts Peter and Paul's Greek Catholic Church from the 18th century and Virgin Mary's Assumption Roman Catholic Chapel from the beginning of the 19th century.
History of Sošice is of course older than these buildings – the oldest name of the place Sussiz was mentioned for the first time in the document signed by Bernard, owner of nearby fortified town Sichelberg (Old Town of Žumberak) in 1249.
Thanks to its location, Sošice has always been not only one of the largest Žumberak settlements, but the most prosperous center and nowadays it is one of the greatest tourist attractions in Žumberak.
Near Sošice is Jazovka pit in which a mass common grave from the Second World Ward was found. Mass in honor to these victims is held on 15th May every year.